Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What Can I do/Can't I do because I have diabetes?

There are very few things I CAN'T do because I have diabetes. Here is a brief list of things I either can't do, or that are much more difficult to do because of diabetes:

1. Get SCUBA certified. I can get certified, but I have to have a note from my doctor saying I’m in good control.

2. Be a Commercial Airline Pilot-If you are insulin dependent, you just can’t do it right now.

3. Become a CDL Trucker-As of 2003, you CAN become a commercial interstate trucker, but there are a load of tests and documentation you have to go through to do it, so unless you have a real burning desire to do that, it's probably not worth the hassle.

4. Get a regular driver’s license-Depending on what state you live it, it can be more difficult to get a regular driver’s license. For example, in Ohio, I have to have a special two part license. The second part of it is called my “medical restriction card” and I have to get it renewed every year. My doctor has to fill out a form saying I’m in good control enough to drive and that they are following my condition. It is very frustrating (especially when the BMV is ridiculous, and can’t keep track of the forms you send them, and loses them along with your HIPAA protected medical information—but that’s another story). Also, and I just have to say this, why is it so hard for me to get a license, but not a 90 year old person who can barely see over the steering wheel? I'm just sayin' . . .

What CAN I do because I have diabetes? EVERYTHING! Well, I can pretty much do anything I want (with the exception of the above list), although things might take a little more planning on my part. There are a few things that I can do specifically because I have diabetes that other people can’t:

1) I can have food in places where other people can’t, like at rock concerts & football games, or in the BYU library!

2) I get to go to diabetes camp, which is just awesome, and I feel bad that other people can’t.

Anyway, I thought I’d share a few interesting facts about the doors diabetes shuts and the doors it opens.

No comments:

Post a Comment