Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Famous People With Diabetes!

So, I’ve been writing a lot of serious posts about diabetes lately, so I thought I’d lighten the mood a little bit today! Today I’m posting about famous diabetics!

There are a TON of celebrities with diabetes out there! When I started to write this post, I knew of a few, but I am amazed to find out just how many there are! Here is brief list for you, with a few choice comments from me!

Musicians:

Crystal Bowersox (of recent American Idol Fame)

Nick Jonas (yes, I did go there.)

Miles Davis (I knew I had to have something else in common with Miles besides awesomeness!)

Ella Fitzgerald

Johnny Cash

Bret Michaels

Neil Young

Elliot Yamin

Elvis Presley

B.B. King

Jerry Garcia

Ghostface Killah (my personal favorite)

Entertainment:

Larry King

Jerry Lewis

Mary Tyler Moore (she was the first famous diabetic I ever knew about)

Carroll O’Connor (All in the Family=most brilliant sit-com EVER!)

Wilford Brimley (duh)

Carol Channing

Dick Clark

Sports:

Arthur Ashe

Ty Cobb

Jackie Robinson

Sugar Ray Robinson

(and a bunch of other MLB and NFL players whose names I don’t personally recognize, because I’m not a sports fan, but whom I’m sure are famous, nonetheless. )

Politicians:

Winnie Mandela

Nikita Kruschev

Marion Berry (not to be confused with marionberry)

Others:

Paul Cezzane

Ray Kroc (founder of McDonald’s . . . interesting)

Thomas Edison

Ernest Hemingway

Anne Rice

Sonia Sotomayor (Supreme Court Justice)

H.G. Wells

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Larry Miller (of Utah Jazz Ownership fame)

Anyway, I just wanted to say, we’re taking over the world! Mwa ha ha! (In all seriousness though, we literally are taking over the world, which is not a good thing. Remember my earlier post about how between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 Americans will have diabetes by 2050 if we don’t do something about it? We need to take action! While it is fun to read a long list of famous diabetics, the goal is to see this list grow smaller and smaller! )

If you want to read more about famous diabetics I found a lot of these on this web-site at dLife. For a more extensive list and biographies of these individuals, go check it out!

Next Up: Diabetes Prevention! You CAN prevent diabetes . . . sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment