Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Diabetes Awareness Month!

Did you know that November is National Diabetes Awareness Month? Chances are, if you're reading this blog, you already did.  Last year, I blogged every single day about diabetes, to create awareness in my sphere of influence, and to educate people on some of the less understood things about diabetes.  If you want to read those posts, they start here.

This month is just a smidge busier than November last year, so I am not going to be quite as much of a diabetic rock-star.  But, I still want to post some things in honor of this month and in honor of those who live with diabetes, or are affected by diabetes on a daily basis.

Last year, I wrote a lot about the basics of what diabetes was, how it is treated, stuff like that. This year, I want to make my awareness blogging a little more personal. I'm going to be travelling a lot these next few weeks, but I do plan to do a few posts about how diabetes specifically affects me, on a personal level.  I'm not very good at sharing my inner personal thoughts and feelings, but I will try hard to do so, knowing that what really matters with raising diabetes awareness is not that people can quote how many Americans will have diabetes by 2040, or the details of how a pancreas works, but that they will know and understand the impact this disease has on the individual.

So, stick with me, this month, peeps!

And, until my next post, please check out this amazing video where a little girl explains how diabetes affects her, in her own beautiful words!


No comments:

Post a Comment