Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks.

I love that Thanksgiving falls during Diabetes Awareness Month.  It gives me a nice nudge to not only reflect on all the usual things I'm grateful for, but to think about all the things involving diabetes that I'm thankful for, too.

Some of the things I'm been thinking about over the last few days are:


  • My family: I'm so grateful to have a family that supports my diabetes efforts! My husband wakes up in the middle of the night with me if I'm low. He never complains that we spend so much of our money on medical costs. He doesn't see me as "sick".  I know not everyone has as supportive of a spouse as I do, and I know how lucky I am to have him.  I'm also grateful for my extended family, and how supportive they are, too! 
  • Modern Medicine: I marvel at this every year. When I think about what it was like to be diabetic even 20 years ago, I feel lucky to be alive now.  As much as I complain about how much things cost, or how things don't work perfectly, I really am grateful for what I do have.
  • Diabetes: Sometimes I sit and fantasize about what my life would be like without diabetes. It would be amazing! But, then I think about all the people I've known and all the things I've learned, and the person I've become because I have diabetes, and I realize that have to be grateful for it, at least in some sense. 

I hope you all are having a wonderful Thanksgiving, and that you're taking the time to think about the things you are grateful for. I know not everyone's life is sunshine and roses all the time, but I do think that every person has at least one thing they can find to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment